St. Francis De Sales and All Souls Parish was established in 1904, although there had been a worshiping community here for several years prior to this date.
The original church building was a small wooden structure which had been commissioned by Bishop Pompallier in 1866 as a mortuary chapel in Symonds Street, Auckland, and named for one of his patrons, François (de Sales); it was barged across the harbour and erected on the current site in 1893.
In 1919 a second and larger building, of Gothic Revival design, was erected over the old chapel, which was then dismantled and removed through the entrance. Beginnings of the construction can be seen in the photo.
The name attached to the old church, “St Francis de Sales”, became that of the new, and at its dedication on the Feast of All Souls, 2nd November 1919, Bishop Cleary added “All Souls”, in remembrance of the many who lost their lives in the World War of 1914-18 and in the flu epidemic which followed.
ST LEO’S CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL
Nurture, Gracious, Excellence